Saturday, January 7, 2012
Trader Joe's is coming! Well, at least it's coming to a city less than an hour from here. This is the best news I've heard in a while. I have missed shopping at TJ's since moving back to NY in 2010. We used to bring a cooler and make the drive from Jacksonville, to the Chapel Hill store when we lived in NC. Before that, we lived within walking distance to a store in Oceanside, CA. Note: living close enough to walk to a store that sold wine for $2 per bottle got interesting more than a few times!
Anyway, in honor of the upcoming store opening, here are my top five Trader Joe's favorites:
1. Blueberry Green Tea- I was never a huge tea drinker and prefer coffee but there is something about this tea, the fragrance almost as much as the flavor, that makes it a must buy every time and just might turn you into a tea drinker.
2. Very Berry Clusters Cereal- By far my favorite cereal! I could eat it for every meal. It has a mildly sweet berry taste to it, not at all sugary or overpowering. I have not been able to find anything that comes close to its taste.
3. Fruit Leather- Maybe it has something to do with how much I used to love fruit roll ups or maybe because they are the perfect snack! I recently found one in a jacket pocket and contemplated eating it even though I knew it must have been in there for a couple of years. As much as I'm into foods that can be eaten with one hand while holding a baby in the other, it's surprising that I was able to resist. And no, I will not eat them in the shower.
4. Kettle Corn- This is very addicting and I can eat a whole bag. Such a yummy treat!
5. Joe Joe's- These are cookies with a name that's just fun to say. I used to buy the kind that are most like an oreo style cookie but there are different varieties of these cookies.
There are so many other items that I love at Trader Joe's. They make a great sparkling soda that saved my sister's lake house vacation when she was pregnant and we were all enjoying cocktails. Their many interesting flavors began my hummus habit. I'm glad that if my favorites list has to be a majority of snacks, they are at least a balance between sweets/ snacks and healthy snacks.
Maybe now that I am a parent and by the time the store opens will be buying food that our boy can eat, I might lean toward healthier items, but knowing my sweet tooth, the Joe Joe's and kettle corn will end up in the cart no matter what. All I can say is I can't wait!